Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

So after the surgery I was in recovery mode and ready to start healing.  On the first day after, I began to get really sick from the Darvocet they had me on, and I couldn't keep anything down, in spite of this I felt great.  As the weeks progressed my stomach started to shrink but it actually moved, it had been years since my stomach moved freely without my abdomen moving with it.  However the surgery had released my abdomen from my stomach and it still is not back to its original shape, I can also feel scar tissue underneath my belly button which makes my stomach potrude more.  Besides that I have taken charge of my Endometriosis and I really want to make all women out there aware of this disease, I don't want anyone to ever have to go through what I have been going through since I was 16.  I found a book called The Endometriosis Sourcebook by Mary Lou Ballweg and the Endometriosis Association, it has so much great information on how to deal with Endo, support groups that are out there, and most of all treatments available. Another great site I use where I have published my Endo story is: http://www.endo-resolved.com/symptoms.html.  If someone you know is suffering there is help available out there and you are not alone, which is the most important part. 


Also I want to share what treatment plan worked best for me and how I went about it:


So after the surgery my hormones started going nuts, I was hungry all day long and I know this is gross but I was burping constantly, like the acids in my stomach had somehow changed.  I began to have hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety, insomnia, and my nausea was back full force and worse when I would take my birth control, and really bad when my blood sugar would plummet.  What relieved the nausea was Pepto-Bismol or if I snacked or ate something this normally leveled me out.  I then began to look into homeopathic remedies for my period pain which was 50% better but it was still pretty bad at times, some periods were worse than others. I found on the Endo-resolved site that Arnica gel can help this type of pain so I stocked up and it has helped some of my pain.  Also by accident I got a severe sinus infection and my doctor prescribed me Naproxen for my bruxism pain and my sinus pain/pressure, because it is an anti-inflammatory.  Naproxen helped my pain relief so much that I switched to Aleve which has Naproxen in it from the Advil gel caps I was taking.  I also learned that certain foods can make the Endo act up and that it is not the same for everyone, so far my biggest culprits are Soy and red meat.  I have found that organic is best for all of the food that I can tolerate and it is heathier for you anyways.


The hormone problems were a whole nother issue, I saw my gynecologist and she diagnosed me with PMDD on top of the Endo (PMDD is an extreme form of PMS) and she put me on Progesterone cream, not over the counter or yam based but an actual compound.  I am on one ml of Progesterone cream every night before bedtime on the 13th day of my menstrual cycle up to the day my period starts.  I cannot say enough good things about how this has changed my life, normally around a week before my period I want to fight about everything, and nothing, things that don't matter to me normally, and I feel like a mean crazy monster takes over me and I cannot stop being irrational and mean.  The Progesterone cream has stabilized my moods, my anxiety is completely gone, I can finally sleep at night, and my hot flashes and nausea have dissapeared. 


I finally feel like I am on the right track with my life and my health is in my hands, and I will not let PMDD or Endo run me, I run them.

No comments:

Post a Comment